Friday 7 December 2007

RW Intrudes

Well I've managed to be home for a week. Not that I've managed to get much housework done, with earning a living. I did try on Wednesday, but received a ph call from a neighbor who was having a Kirby Vac demo, they would not do the demo without a second person in the house. So I went over. No neither of us brought a Vac, I mean come on. 3000 for a vac! Yes they are great vacuums, but neither of us could warrant spending that much on a vac, when we can get one from Godfreys for under a 1000 that does very similar.

Anyway, as I was saying. I managed to vacuum half my house and do all the washing and that was it. Did not even cook tea, ran down to the local Fish n Chip shop and had a lazy nights meal. Early start the next morning had me in bed earlier than usual. I feel old and tired this week and extremely frustrated with being so disorganized.

Had to literally boot Boo out the door on Thursday morning, so as I could head to Mums and Dads and drop off some rather large postal boxes. On arriving Dad had arranged for one of his RSL buddies to read through some paperwork and explain some things to him. I'd already done that. But can understand its hard for him to let go and allow his daughter to take over temporarily. Word from his mates is that they are just repeating what I've been saying and that Dad is starting to realize that I am thinking of his and mums needs and wants first. He actually said thanks for everything that I've done and he knows that I've achieved lots of little things, even with his pigheadedness and STML (short term memory loss). It was nice of him to acknowledge what I've been doing.

Anyway, had to rush the discussion and get to the Solicitors office. Luckily my brother had made an appearance and was at the ACC, where mum is and he brought her down. My nephews God parents were there as well and it was good to see them. She's had a major stroke and he is looking after her in the home and they are doing well. He also advices without interfering, which is great. My blood uncle says he's not interfering, but then calls my father in the late evening and says look out your daughter is taking over.

Aah excuse me! He says he knows all about Dementia. Well, if he did he'd realize that to call a person at that time of the night you'll aggravate the situation and confuse them even more. Its called 'Sundowners' for a reason. Look it up Uncle!

Anyway, I've a copy of the will now and Mum & Dad changed the PA (Power of Attorney)to solely myself and my brother as secondary. My parents are happy with what I've done so far and how I've used the system to work with us. Even though I am a impatient person by nature. Overall, it was a good outcome.

We all went out for lunch and my uncle shouted. Mum throughly enjoyed having non hospital food and virtually cleaned off her plate. Saying it was the flavor that made her hungry. It was a great meal and with great company and relaxed conversation that did not relate to what had been happening. Good on them for steering the conversation into everyday issues and allowing some of the stress to lift.

I took my mum back to ACC via Scope. Where my nephew attends and she had a visit, which also brightened her day. Though, we are aware that she feels that no one can look after him as well as she can. Which is a given, but not with the circumstances of late.

Anyway, after making apologies to the nurses for being away so long. We had the Dr's conference and Mum is defying the Dr's suggestions and so am I. She is going home to the family home. Its called aging in place and if she is happier at home then that is where she needs to be. Instead of a hostel filled with strangers. I'm frightened that if we place her in a hostel she may wither away faster.

So now the relevant services need to be vamped up and the house checked to ensure that it is safe for her to go home. But I did put her on a promise, that if there should be an instance of trouble or an accident. That I would use my PA, and have her popped into a hostel of the families choosing. Mum agreed and we all feel better. Dad is extremely pleased and said he'll pop up some xmas deco's ready for her return. I bet its only some string with the xmas cards, but its the thought that counts. So it'll be fine.

We sorted out some of the banking issues and next week, I'll be running around paying bills. This weeks I've ordered medical supplies and picked up mums xmas laybys. Also sorted through some of her castle hamper order, but left the bulk until her return home. It is after all her order and she knows who she ordered what for.

So it was little steps today that achieved a lot. Everything that was on my list to achieve for this week, in relation to my parents has been achieved. Little steps works and no pushing or badgering. Now if I could manage the same at home!

Oh my Dads coming to my place on Saturday. The excuse I've got to work all w/end and hubby needs a hand with the garden. smiles. Carols on Saturday night and I've arranged for him to attend. Lots of our cousins will be fronting up and it'll do him good to have a break from the traveling to and from the hospital. Hubby said he'll take him home after the event, if dad felt up to it.

So I'm hoping for a good night, even though I'm working.

2 comments:

J.F. Posthumus said...

You've been a very busy lady!!! Hope everything goes well with you and your family this week and throughout the holiday season. And, of course, into next year!

Good luck and best of wishes!

love and hugs,
Jen aka Jy/Ryna

Quont said...

You're doing a wonderful job of taking care of your family; just don't forget to take care of yourself amid this whirlwind.

Hugs