Tuesday 4 December 2007

RW Intrudes

Boo, has been an amazing 11 year old through all this. As he is a child, he is usually forgotten in the adult rush and sits quietly at arms reach from either myself or Nan. He listens and then when everything is quiet he pipes up with his views and sometimes quiet vehemently. He's shed tears for his beautiful Nan and has told me now that he understands a little more about what is happening to the grumpy old fart. (His words) It broke my heart when he said he once hated his grandfather, but is now proud of him and sad about what this insidious dis-ease has done to what was once a big strong man.
He said one night "What about me and what I'd like?" My father and I turned and looked at him questioning.
We had been discussing what should happen in the advent of their deaths and who she receive what.

He took his grandfather by the hand and said "G'dad, I'd like two photos." Dragging G'dad to the images. He pointed at one of my parents in their earlier years of his young memories and another on their 55th wedding anniversary. They've been married for 57 years this year.
G'dad said they are yours lad and Boos smiled. "G'dad, I'd also like something special from you and from nan."
G'dad said 'Ok' and walked into his bedroom. There was a lot of mumbling and banging, before he came out and handed my little Boo a watch. "Here you go lad, ths watch was one of my first and now its yours." Boo was pleased and checked the watch over, surprised to find it still worked. He wears it all the time and when G'dad got lost for two hours (He said he was not lost he knew where he was, we just did not.) Boo held it and kept saying show up Pop. He believes that it helped locate G'dad. As he turned up 5 minutes later.

Boo was poking around Nan's room, he spends a lot of time sitting in her room and touching her stuff. Not breaking anything, he is very tender when handling he pretties. When he came out with a small ring, he said look it fits my finger. I and G'dad let him wear it. Later when we saw Nan, he showed her and she told him that he could keep it and the mate to it. Both are just mood rings that Nan liked to wear on occasion, and they are what he saw on her fingers, he treasures these things and gets frantic if he can't locate them.

I think he likes being in Nans room as he feels at ease with her scents and presence. He even took to sleeping atop her bed. Saying that it was soft and comfy, like Nan. Strange to see a gangly child, arms and legs akimbo, stretched out across the Hobbits bed. But sleeping soundly. He said he has been sleeping more restfully in her room, so we have allowed him that small comfort.

Ok, I'm done. The memories have made me smile and I need to make phone calls.

No comments: