Friday 28 December 2007

RW Intrudes


Time has flown and my last few months have been chaotic.
But it appears for at least now that things have settled some what. I do wish I had that illusive crystal ball to see into the future. But alas I do not. If I did I would not have fallen on the night of the 21/12/07, at exactly 2200 hours and smashed my right wrist around a door frame.

It had been a very, very wet night. I mean it rained that hard that trying to see out the windscreen was near impossible. The building that I had to attend to required that I lock the doors. Inside there was a tiled floor and with the wet it was slippery. My feet slid, I tried to stop the fall and well smashed my wrist around the door frame. I tell you I dropped to one knee, right wrist tucked under my left armpit and cussed. Then as the good little soldier I am, I locked the doors and finished the job. Filled in the required paperwork and kept going. I did call another guard and tell him that I had slipped and hurt my wrist. But thought nothing more of it, unless I bumped it during the night. That of course I did on several occasions and it was a not so gentle reminder that I had hurt it.

The next day/afternoon, I went over to my friends house. (Who happens to be a nurse.) She took one look, growled and called me some names. (Which I won't repeat here.) Wrapped the wrist and gave directions to see a DR asap. I didn't. We had a family get together to attend and well it all got waylaid. (Snuck some Xmas shopping in as well. I hate shopping! At anytime, let alone Christmas.) My wrist throbbed and I babied it. No mercy really, it was my choice.

Sunday morning I awoke to find that my hand had swelled so much that I could not see my knuckles. Frightened! Yep indeed. Back over to friends to get a list of Dr's and Xray depts that were open that did not entail having to go through the public system.
Might add, we had a 50th to attend that day as well.

Located a GP and a Xray dept. But...yes there is a but. When we got out to the car (my fathers) it would not start. Flat out it just would not. In exasperation I called my cousin, she picked me and the lad up and we proceed to the Xray dept. Hubby waited for the RACV, plus he called to say he'd locked the keys in the car too.

After the Xrays (which were done very quickly) we went back to the DRs and he said that I had done a good job of tearing all the ligaments in my right wrist. It required a back slab/half cast, elevation (RICE, for those that know first aid.) and a bleeding sling. I hate slings with a vengeance, but conceded to wearing one. He also said I was not allowed to drive. Shishh....what about work.

Called the boss's wife and explained the situation. Offering hubby as co driver for the patrols. Plus its a good excuse for him to learn the rounds. She said she'll call back.

RACV had shown up in the mean time. Dads car needs a new alternator, great! Hubby took it home and grabbed my car. We headed, now four hours late for the 50th. Receiving a call on the way to say that all parties agreed to Hubby being co driver. Aahh..we start work at 1800 hours. It was 1700 hours, so we said we'll be late and partially out of uniform. That was fine. Whew! Boo went over to my nursing friends for the night and we headed out. Hubby did very well BTW, even teaching me a few short cuts.

Well that was that weekend...stubborn aren't I!

No comments: